Wednesday, March 31, 2010

very end of a busy march

Watching baseball on TV and it's very sweet. Nevermind that it's the Hiroshima Carp against the Hanshin Tigers, and the Carp are losing, nevermind that my favorite team Japanese team is so unpopular that they can't get a game televised on Cable, where they show high school girls basketball, it's still sweet. Maybe I'll see Eric Stults, the Bethel College grad who never got a fair shot at the Dodgers rotation though he showed himself to be as reliable as any fifth starter anywhere, the Dodgers sold his contract to the Hiroshima Carp, so maybe I'll see him tomorrow. Dodgers themselves are an absolute mess. I blame Bud Selig for allowing the McCourts to buy them in the first place. The funniest part is they refused someone else, then accepted the McCourts as buyers, what a joke. I'm actually thinking to make the Angels my American League team this year, and number 2 overall. I've been an Indians guy for so long but it just doesn't mean anything these days, they're not interesting, I've never been to Cleveland, and I can take my kid to Angels games. I can go to Angels blanket night. I can teach him to steal leftover ice cream helmets after the game and wash them out in the bathrooms, then get the fifth outfielder or second string middle reliever to sign it. Is there really a better fan experience than that? One last point, the Dodgers begin the season at Pittsburgh, so hopefully we're 3-0 by the time we start playing Major League teams. But seriously the Pirates seem to be putting it together, I'd say they're up to about half a Major League starting lineup with guys like McClutchen, Garret Jones and Ryan Doumit. How do you pronounce that anyway? Doe-mit!?

Spend a lot of my dreamy time thinking about reading and writing. I've always wanted to write a novel, but never had the discipline to think anything through from start to finish, much less actually pen a first draft. When I was 10 years old I had a real winner I was gonna call 'The Great Guinea Pig Adventure', and it was gonna be way edgier than David's finished manuscript for 'Journey to PetTown'. Now I'm 27, I've got a few how-to books, and would find it to be a huge personal accomplishment to get a full manuscript written and refined to something I could think of as publisher ready. I wouldn't make it a goal to publish it because merely having a worthy manuscript isn't good enough to get it published, there are too many worthy manuscripts for publishers to consider as it is, and also, almost nobody puts out a worthy manuscript on their first try. I'll leave you with this true story to illustrate my point. I read about a guy, and this is a story I like to tell so if you've heard it from me just hear it again, a guy who submitted his novel to a publisher who responded with 'I can't publish this, but I'd be interested in reading your next effort.' he responded the same way with the second effort, and the third. The fourth he published, and that novel was a bestseller, it was called Carrie, the author was Stephen King, and every novel he's written since have been bestsellers. Cheers.

1 comment:

  1. 1) Mariners have a lot of potential this year. in some ways I feel like it depends on who wins the adrian gonzalez give-a-way sweepstakes.

    2) Ray Bradbury says he only gets about 10% of what he writes into his published works. writers just write.

    ReplyDelete